Monday, September 13, 2010

Sew I Did It!

This weekend I should have been cleaning or doing laundry, but after the last few cram-packed weekends I decided I wasn’t doing anything but relax. I didn’t want to sit around the house though – so Saturday we decided to go shopping because the bug is growing so much, he was just about out of clothing that fits. I managed to score some great deals for him at Macy’s and Old Navy and even snagged a cute pair of jeans {skinny ones at that} for me. I also picked up some fabric to make Michael a coat.


Sundays are football day so while Chris went off to watch his game, I started working on the jacket. Now, I’m not a great seamstress. It’s been several years since I even attempted to make something that actually required a proper fit {although 3 years ago I made some awesome capes for our Harry Potter costumes} and never have I actually produced a wearable item of clothing. Needless to say I wasn’t sure how this was going to work, but I was determined to make it work!



Here's the pattern I used.  I used a nice thick fleece so that bug can wear it this winter.  This entire set could easily be done in a number of fabrics.


Step One – Cut the pattern. I usually rush through this part – never really taking the time to accurately cut, yet alone iron the pattern – but I was determined, so I did every single step. Iron the paper pattern – Check! Pin down to the fabric – Check! Cut in a straight and neat way – sort of Check! Fleece is a difficult fabric to cut.


Step Two – Start sewing. I read the instructions 3 times to make sure I didn’t forget anything {remember that game from middle school that's suppose to teach you to read the entire directions first} – then I dove in. 15 minutes later I realized I had no idea how to attach/use bias tape and the instructions in the pattern made no sense – so off to Google I went! I swear, I don’t know what people did before Google. 5 minutes later I found a video, watched it and was back to sewing.

Step Three - Don't go crazy.  While this pattern was easy to follow - there were a few steps that I thought were out of order.  Because I was determined to make this coat, I followed the pattern and steps exactly.  Next time, I'll be doing a few things different.


3 hours later though, I was finished. Somewhere in there Michael had to be fed and played with – which really kills the momentum but once I was finished he loved it! And so did Daddy! This next weekend I’m going to make him a UK one too. It was sew {pun intended} much fun that I can’t wait to start my next project. Maybe something for me?!


Modeling his new coat!
The finished product!

No comments: